Real estate consulting in Colombia during the development phase generally consists of the following products: Highest and best use studies, predevelopment reports, appraisal, rent analysis, and marketability analysis.
Typically, the most common products completed by LOGAN Colombia that are ordered during development are highest and best use studies for office and industrial projects and rent analysis for new office buildings. The real estate consulting division of LOGAN Colombia has more than 10 years of experience in real estate market analysis covering the main real estate commercial sectors, as well as land, and residential. Clients include the top developers, real estate fund managers, and builders in the region.
Products – Development Timeline
Clients, such as a builder or developer, often need direction in not only what type of studies are required, but also when they should be undertaken during the development phase. Below is a graphic that lays out the different products offered in Colombia and when they should be ordered.
- Highest and Best Use Analysis – these studies should be ordered while under contract on a piece of property that will be developed or redeveloped. It helps understand what should be built on a property based on what is legally, physically, and financially most productive. Often, in Colombia this step is skipped, however, it is the most important of all studies. Things are changing in the Colombian market, as builders are starting to recognize not all uses of property are in demand.
- Predevelopment Analysis – this is a report which helps builders and joint venture partners (real estate funds – real estate fund managers) understand what costs have been incurred in the first stages of development of a project. Often, investors enter projects when there are significant predevelopment costs which are already incurred – but need to be justified to the investor. LOGAN Colombia has undertaken these types of reports on mostly residential projects that have attracted investment from real estate funds – the costs incurred were verified and justified for the sake of transparency for the investor.
- Appraisal – appraisals are written under IVS (International Valuation Standards) and also comply with local requirements such as the RAA designation (Designated Real Estate Appraiser Colombia). Appraisals are requested for financial reporting requirements, acquisitions, internal decision making, and for bank loans or debt.
- Property Condition Assessment (PCA) – this is a standard report for real estate funds who are buying assets. It assesses the physical status of a real estate asset and includes a capex projection over time for each individual component. It is used for negotiation, and also to refine the capex savings that will be required for an asset over time.
- Rent Analysis – When buying or building a project, developers often need to project rents with pinpoint accuracy. This product allows them to focus specifically on projected rents in a focused fashion. Rents can vary based on project location, floor, asset quality and are affected by other factors as well. This product is ordered during the acquisitions phase, while under due diligence.
- Marketability Analysis (MAP Report) – This report is a deep-dive into the specifics of a property and the inputs required to model it properly. It should be ordered after acquisition and during the period of lease-up. It projects the rents, rent increases, absorption, costs, cost increases, and is based on competitive analysis done by measuring the projects which compete directly with the subject.
Supply and demand analyses for:
- Mixed use projects
We cover some of the main markets in Colombia:
The main certifications of the team members in the consulting division include:
- MRICS, Research
- ATSM (Standard for Property Condition Assessments)
- IPMS (Standard for measurement in real estate